If you owe tax money to the IRS, it’s challenging to make progress toward your financial goals. All of your resources are directed to paying off your tax lien, leaving nothing for investments. If you can relate to this situation, you might have decided to put your real estate aspirations on hold until your tax lien is under control.
What if you can’t wait to purchase your home or expand your real estate portfolio? MortgageDepot might have a solution. In certain situations, borrowers can have a current tax lien and still get a mortgage.
What Is an IRS Tax Lien?
An IRS tax lien is a legal claim against property. If you don’t pay your taxes, the government will take a legal claim against your assets, including real estate, finances and personal property. A tax lien ensures that the government will get paid one way or another.
If you have a current tax lien, it might be easier than you think to secure a mortgage. At MortgageDepot, borrowers with a current tax lien can still work toward their real estate goals. Borrowers must meet these eligibility requirements to qualify:
- There cannot be a Notice of Federal Tax Lien filed against the borrower in the same county as the property in question.
- The lender requires an approved IRS installment agreement stating the terms of lien repayment.
- The borrower must produce evidence that they are up-to-date on their lien payments.
- The borrower must make at least one lien payment before closing on the property in question.
Although this is usually uncharted territory for our clients, our loan officers are adept at compiling the paperwork required to obtain a mortgage with a current tax lien.
The MortgageDepot Difference
At MortgageDepot, we understand that each client has walked a different path before arriving at our door. When you partner with us, you’ll receive:
- Access to a selection of loan programs that address our clients’ unique needs.
- A thoughtful blend of new technology and time-tested methods to ensure quality service.
- Loan programs with the lowest interest rates available.
Contact MortgageDepot Today!
If you have a current tax lien, don’t put your real estate goals on hold. Contact MortgageDepot today to figure out your next move in the real estate game and emerge as a winner!
Contact one of our loan consultants to learn more.